“Pro-active against Violence against Women” project
On November 1st, 2019, Animus Association Foundation, in partnership with Society and Safety Foundation, started the implementation of the “Pro-active against Violence against Women” project. It will continue for 36 months and is financially supported by Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway under the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area.
Society and Safety Foundation is a non-governmental organization with public benefit purposes, which works for changing people’s opinions police officers (employees of the Ministry of Interior) and for building relationships of mutual trust and partnership.
The main goal of the project is to raise awareness and activate the general public to act against violence against women.
The main activities of the project include:
- A study on the police officers’ attitudes in four regions of the country (Sofia-city, Silistra, Smolyan, and Sliven);
- Monitoring and analysis of the work of key institutions working on domestic violence (Courts, the Prosecutor’s Offices, Social Services, etc.);
- An awareness-raising campaign aiming at clarifying the domestic violence phenomenon;
- An advocacy campaign aiming at providing knowledge to and developing skills of police officers to recognize and intervene in cases of domestic violence.
- Increase in reporting of cases of domestic violence and support provided to women by 30%;
- Increase awareness of police officers and the general public regarding domestic violence and violence against women;
The trainings on how to work on cases of domestic violence provided to police officers will contribute to putting an end to the violence and increasing the trust towards the Police regarding cases of domestic violence.
The analysis of cases from the practice and the data collection will indicate the problematic fields as well as inform which policies and practices work and which do not work. The conclusions will contribute to the improving of national policies on domestic and gender-based violence.
The campaign aimed at encouraging the reporting of cases of domestic violence, implemented together with the Police, will rely on different communication channels in order to reach a maximum number of people.
Encouraging active civil actions on cases of domestic violence will improve the overall protection of victims of domestic violence.
This publication is created with the financial support of Active Citizens Fund Bulgaria under the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area. The content of this publication is the sole responsibility of Animus Association Foundation and under no circumstances can it be considered that this document reflects an official statement of the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area and the Operator – Active Citizens Fund Bulgaria.